Saturday 17 January 2015

W2: Getting Started

     I enjoyed and learned lots from csc108 last semester! The only thing I feel less confident about is "class". I understand we use class to contain several functions that may be used together in case we have a lot of separate functions which may be difficult to keep track of. Class still somewhat confuses me, and I am slightly unfamiliar with writing a class. I have been attempting to clarify my confusion about classes by asking my prof, asking my peers, googling, and referring to notes from csc108 as well as textbooks available to me. As for the design, I am slowly learning, it helps me to identify the main noun (which is a candidate name), verbs and important attributes, as well as operations that should support the noun. In class we have also used the special methods, __str__, __repr__, and __eq__ which I hope will become more familiar to me with more practice.

     Our first assignment has been assigned, and the first time I read through the handout I felt very overwhelmed. Then, I decided to break it down and read it section by section; even after doing that, I was still perplexed in what to do and how to start. I kept reading it over, not necessarily from the start to the end, but chunks by chunks. I did some highlighting of hints and more specific instructions which I thought would help me get started. I slept on it, and then I did more brainstorming, ideas started forming and connecting and making sense! I don't know if all these ideas will work and I don't have ideas for all of the assignment but at least I have something.

     We also had our first lab this week, which really helped with my familiarization of a class. For the majority, I was on the right track. I think these labs will prove beneficial and worthwhile as it allows me to practice with a TA available for questions or errors I may have. This also allows for discussion or exchanges with fellow students working on the same or similar task and is sometimes less intimidating than asking TA's or profs.

No comments:

Post a Comment