Friday 6 March 2015

W8: Programming is an Art Form That Fights Back

It's past midnight so technically it's Sunday morning and I'm doing a bit of relaxing which means my slogging.
My recollection of this past week?

  • CSC148 ASSIGNMENT #2 DEADLINE: MARCH 05, 10PM
  • CSC165 ASSIGNMENT #2 DEADLINE: MARCH 06, 11:59PM
and then...
  • CSC165 TERM TEST #2: MARCH 10 during tutorial time
  • CSC148 TERM TEST #2: MARCH 11 during lecture time

    Well of course those weren't/aren't the only things on my mind but a large amount of last week was dedicated to working on csc148 a2. Organizing times to meet and work on the assignment with my group and still get other stuff in my life done. As soon as a2 was out, I read over the handout several times, then I started brainstorming. Over reading week I started writing but then I got stuck and didn't have anyone to discuss it with- so my next move was to look for a group to work with. Luckily, bingo! I found one! They weren't free until after reading week but I felt relieved that we could get started soon.

    Once we actually met up and started discussing and writing, everything seemed to be right on track. (I'm the sort of person that actually NEEDS to use an agenda, write and plan things out, and have a schedule). My teammates were wonderful! (They are still wonderful people!) I really enjoyed working with my teammates and new friends, Julia and Fiona, because there was so much interaction and discussion. In the past, I've worked on projects with people that barely communicate but still manage to get the task done- that's not bad, but I'm just not that type of person. I need to discuss and work on it together (if I'm in a group) to learn. I think we met up almost everyday for a couple of hours to work on it; I think meeting up helps us stay focused (or at least it helps me. I know if I were at my apartment I would probably get distracted, and if I got stuck I would probably take a nap or go do something else and then come back to it later- maybe even hours later...).

    Some of a2 was kind of confusing and took a while to figure out and understand but we made good progress each day I believe. I think I actually learned quite a bit about OOP in general just because of all the discussion we had for this assignment. When errors occurred or questions were raised, we all tried to help each other as best we could and it worked out fairly well.

    There wasn't too much to modify/add in game_view.py so that was done pretty quickly, as well as tippy_move.py. It did help me in that we were given starter code for subtract square, and some things were fairly similar so we could refer back to the examples for subtract square. tippy_game_state.py and strategy_minimax.py  was definitely more work, but it makes sense according to the break down of marks. Minimax though, we first had to understand what it was supposed to do, and to do that, we imagined it working with subtract square first, a simpler game. As well as for methods we were unsure for this game Tippy, we experimented first with subtract square to get a basic understanding before moving along.

    I won't go into many more details about how we worked on a2 but I surely did find it a productive week, especially with the help of my team! :) The midterm is coming up and I am nervous but as mentioned in this fellow classmates' slog: https://juliaslog.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/getting-it-together-an-attempt/, I need to go through my list of "to-do's" and get some studying done. Also, I didn't manage to finish the lab because I got stuck, which definitely means I need to go back and understand. I was also planning to go back and finish it but with a2 and everything else, I simply haven't had the chance :p

    In regards to my post title, I have always been more of an artistic person, this computer science I am doing right now has been a bit of a surprise to my family and friends as well as myself. I look at it as a sort of challenge to take on and find it kind of fascinating at the same time. Programming is kind of a struggle from time to time with certain concepts; I also think of it as something abstract and artistic, it has it's own beauty. It's pretty amazing what a little bit of code can actually do or represent. Sometimes I do regret not choosing something more artsy, but you never know :p I haven't exactly "discovered" my path yet, but I'm hoping I will soon. As for now, I accept these challenges presented before me and am determined to make the best of these opportunities and experiences and to gain from them! :)

    I also do enjoy creative writing from time to time and I've heard, 
"Like punning, programming is a play on words."


No comments:

Post a Comment